Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Uganda

I'm not really a political guy at all anymore. The whole political process just really frustrates me. I have never in my life written my senator or any other politician. None that I can remember anyways. But I will bust off an e-mail after reading the article linked above. Joseph Kony is an evil evil man. He must be stopped. I'm not big on the U.S. being the policeman of the world but someone needs to step up and defend children. It might just take a decent reward offer.

So I'm encouraging you to do the same. Write your senator, congressman, whoever it takes to get something done.

As I've written this post I've discovered stuff that has ticked me off even more. I admittedly know little about politics and am learning this stuff from biased internet sites. However, I'll try to be as unbiased as I can. Apparently Joseph Kony has been indicted by the ICC, International Criminal Court. The U.S., under President Clinton, signed the original charter for the ICC. However later fears that American servicemen could be charged for service to their country in the future changed the minds of our legislators. I appreciate that fear and understand it needed to be addressed. Unfortunately in their zeal to distance themselves from the ICC, they passed a bill that makes it illegal for the U.S. to aid the ICC. Which means that the since the ICC has indicted Kony the U.S. cannot offer a reward through the Rewards for Justice program. Our intelligence agencies cannot even pass on information they might receive on his whereabouts. Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

No comments: