Monday, January 23, 2006

"Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet"

I thought I'd share my notes from Sunday School and Youth Group yesterday.

This song has been stuck in my head for more than a week now. Jars of Clay first heard it as a 70 some minute recording of a homeless man singing it over and over again. They used it as an example of people going through extreme suffering and how their faith can seem so m;uch stronger than ours. As I was thinking about it and my various insignificant woes, I thought "Why should I take advice from an insane man." My prejudice striking right away reasoned that if a guy was homeless and singing the same chorus repeatedly for 70 minutes he'd have to be insane. (I've since learned that it was looped and that he didn't actually sing it that long) Then I thought more and decided that maybe he seems insane to me because he doesn't fit into my logical comfortable box. Maybe said homeless dude is more sane than I'll ever be. I can learn from his faith. "Lord, I believe: help thou my unbelief".

God is good and wants goodness for us. We need to trust Him and remember He has never failed you yet. I'm not to the place yet where I'm able to completely let go and let Him handle everything. And I'm not sure where the line between trust and responsibility truly lies. For example, I hate planning for retirement. I'm 30. Who knows if I'll even ever retire. I could die. Christ could come. I hate that responsibility. So if I just say "I'll live by faith", will I ever be able to retire? I hate all the Christian money people these days. Probably because I don't yet know the line between faith/trust and responsibility. I do know that I've been through some tough times financially and still "Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet". I think I need to learn more about God's goodness and how He only wants good for me. This will help my faith. This will impact my decision making. This will change everything.

Romans 8:28-31

I'll have more on God's goodness later this week.

No comments: