Monday, February 05, 2007

Super Bowl thoughts

Wooooooohooooooo!

As I drove home last night, by the way it was 6 below zero, I was thinking about what Ken had told me earlier in the week. "the sad thin[g] will be if 'you win' sunday, you will discover the meaninglessness of it all" I'm not trying to bash Ken at all. Ken is my friend. So I was contemplating what he had said. I've decided that this Super Bowl was far from meaningless. Jesus Christ was glorified and praised last night. Tony Dungy used every opportunity to give praise to God. On a personal level, I celebrated with a brother in Christ. I'm happy for Dungy. I'm proud of how he represented Christ. Also on a personal level this Super Bowl was a great opportunity for my family. We bonded over the whole thing. We wore Blue and White together through the playoffs. We walked through the house saying "Go Colts". We wore our jerseys. We talked about how Dungy was a good modern day example of Daniel chapter 1. I'm afraid that this whole experience has made a difference in my life. But I think every experience makes a difference in my life. I'm glad this one was a positive one that glorified God.

I think that anyone could have won the Super Bowl MVP. Everyone played good last night. I would've loved to see the o-line get it. Manning had plenty of time. The running game worked. The o-line blocked great. You could argue for Rhodes, Addai, Sanders, Manning, really any of them.

I was sitting next to a Jr. Higher when the Bears went up 14-6. He was a Bears fan. He yelled in my ear "What's the score now Pastor Paul, what's the score now Pastor Paul". I reached over and patted him on the cheek. I had nacho cheese all over my hand from the taco I was eating. He had nacho cheese all over his cheek. He didn't say much the rest of the night. I'm not one to rub it in, but I also don't like to take it either.

7 comments:

Ken said...

OK... to respond...

1. you are called "pastor paul"... nice alliteration

2. sure, try to blow my argument out of the water by droping the Jesus card... it was nice and good... but it doesnt kill my argument

3. "Also on a personal level this Super Bowl was a great opportunity for my family. We bonded over the whole thing. We wore Blue and White together through the playoffs. We walked through the house saying "Go Colts". We wore our jerseys."

this tells me that you and your family need to either get out more or get counceling...

4. "We talked about how Dungy was a good modern day example of Daniel chapter 1."

daniel faced the lions... colts faced the bears... daniels lions were real lions... the bears were people in costumes... daniel was the underdog... colts were the overdog... daniel's life was on the line and yet he glorified God... Tony Dungy (whom I respect and love) makes millions to coach overgrowth pop warner...

5. ultimately, your life didnt change a bit... other than you lost the underdog / complaining "I never been a fan of winners" status that is what really makes following sport fun...

so... try not to over-inflate a good moment.. but congrats on your team's win.. it was fun and I thought of you often during the game...

Paul said...

1. Are you one of my Jr. Highers?

2. I am Pastor Paul.

3. We live in Central Michigan, we cannot get out and probably could use a lifetime of counseling.

4. Ditka could take on real lions.

5. Thanks for the congrats it was fun. Over-inflating good moments might be what makes life bearable. Loving the little things like glass bottle Orange Crush, White Castle, the view from the top of a mountain while backpacking or even cheese fries after a test are what make life interesting. Those dumb little traditions are what gives us our personality. Over-inflating them is a wonderful break.

Anonymous said...

Those dumb little traditions are what gives us our personality. Over-inflating them is a wonderful break.


Its also a Weaver trait...we enjoy to the fullest everything we can. When you're Baptist that's a smaller list. lol

Paul said...

Ken's right here too. This won't really change my life and there is the temptation to make it bigger than I should. It bugged me though that he brings it all up right during the times that I was enjoying it the most. This won't rank up there with my wedding, the birth of my kids, times with my family and close friends... But it is fun and I will enjoy it and over-inflate it.

Anonymous said...

If you didn't blow your team's Super Bowl win a bit out proportion, Paul, I would question your status as a sports fan.

Seriously, I'm all for enjoying sports victories. I see nothing wrong with that. I would start to have issues with it if it were still a major part of your life six months from now (rather than a fond memory). But right now? Savor it.

Anonymous said...

Burrill,

Six months from now? Ha, Ha. You know Paul. SIX YEARS from now he will still be rewatching this superbowl and living the joy of victory all over again.

Just ask him how many times he has replayed the 1990's NBA games when the Bulls won 6 championships? And though he knows the outcomes, he still yells at the refs!

-Tami

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. Maybe I should have known better.

But wait. Still yelling at the refs? That's really something. In that light, I can picture him in 2047, watching the game and yelling, "No, that wasn't a force-out!"