Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Notre Dame - part 1

I went to two different top 10 NCAA football games in consecutive Saturdays. And I may go to the Central Michigan vs. Western Michigan rivalry game this Thursday. I love fall. So here is the story of the Notre Dame game.

My college roommate, the great Tobin Strong, has a younger brother named Justin. Mr. Strong, the way he referred to himself during our dealings (which was perfect given the spy theme), is a law student at Notre Dame. Because of this very distinguished position, he sometimes has an opportunity to buy tickets to home games. He very graciously agreed to do that for me. However he did not have the opportunity to get them until late in the week. And he was not going to be in South Bend on Saturday. He devised a very James Bondish way for me to get the tickets and I readily agreed. I took a kid from youth group and Saturday morning we headed south. Upon arriving on the campus, we headed for the law school. We went down the stairs and followed a hallway that was full of turns and was very mysterious. It opened up into a lockerroom and we found the correct locker. It has been years since I've opened a combo lock and I couldn't do it. Joe, being still in school, has more recent experience and on his second try opened it. There taped on the back of the locker in an envelope was the tickets. I taped the check to the back of the locker and we were off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, James Bond. I didn't think it was that clever, but I'll take it. I guess I walk that hall and open that locker every day, so it's a little more mundane for me. But not too many ND fans have seen the bowels of the law school.
Yes, those were good seats - I was tempted to stay home and go to the game myself, just for the seats.
Glad everything worked out, although I am disappointed not to see any pictures of brats.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, those brats are excellent. My taste buds are happy just remembering the ND brats.

Paul said...

I had a brat I just didn't take a picture of it. I also had some nachos with jalepeno's on it. That woke me up in the middle of the night and killed me into the next afternoon.