Friday, November 17, 2006

Bo Schembechler

I'm a huge sports fan. So something like Bo dying is a huge sports story. Bo said some bad things about Notre Dame. So I wasn't a huge fan. But he is a giant in NCAA football history so I thought I'd put some Bo quotes on the blog. Of course all of this is stolen from other places, I never met Bo.

Bo on discipline. "I screamed. I kicked players in the butt. When someone screwed up, he was sent off for laps. Around the field. And around again. Keep going until I stop you. One time, I sent a kid out there and flat-out forgot about him. I think he was running for two hours before someone said to me, 'Hey Bo, he's still out there.'"

Bo on Dan Dierdorf when Dierdorf played for him. "'Hello, Coach Schembechler', he said, very politely. 'I'm Dan Dierdorf.' I stared at him, went right past his hand to his waist, and grabbed a fistful. 'YOU ARE FAT!' I said. And I walked away."

Bo on Woody Hayes "I never met anyone like him. I never will. He was the greatest teacher I have ever see, the greatest motivator I have ever met, and quite possibly the best coach in the history of college football."

Bo on his death. "I will die one day from a bad heart. I've pretty much accepted that."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice hidden link between the last two quotes.

Paul said...

Heh. I didn't hide that there. It must've leaked over from my links.

Anonymous said...

I called Dad yesterday and said it was good that that bo guy died. He wouldn't want to see his team lose. :)

Get better whiner!

-tami

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Bo quotes, Paul. Yesterday I visited the front of Schembechler Hall and took some pictures:

http://www.burrillstrong.com/photo/galleries/farewellbo/

This has been hard on a lot of people.