Friday, March 31, 2006

Laptop wish list

My true wishlist is getting more refined the longer I have the laptop.

Now I plan on buying the Student/Teacher version of Microsoft Office. It costs about $80.

I want to buy a laptop backpack. The nice ones cost about $75.

I want this adapter and software so I can burn my home videos to dvd. It costs $49 or $79 depending on the version.

I haven't decided what order I'm going to get these yet. I have a 60 day trial of Office so I'll probably get the backpack and adapter first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul -- on eBay you can pick up a copy of Corel's office suite for a quarter of the price of the discounted MS suite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Corel-WordPerfect-Office-12-QUATTRO-Word-Perfect-NEW_W0QQitemZ9707710989QQcategoryZ51338QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unless you really, really need Microsoft, don't waste your money. Unlike the MS suite, the Corel software will convert to (and from) MS formats without much fuss. (I once tried to open a wordperfect document in word, and it asked me for the install cd so it could add the necessary converters. Wordperfect, on the other hand, is installed with converters.)

(But in my experience, if you do a lot with slide shows, you're probably stuck with having to buy Microsoft. Unfortunately. Those conversions don't seem to work as well.)