Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Larry Brown

You'll find that I get on subjects and obsess about them. Larry Brown is one of these. I feel he abandoned the Pacers when they were close to winning a championship. I feel like he's abandoned many teams. So now I'm going to give you a couple of Larry Brown quotes from this last year.

"I told the guy I'm going to coach in Detroit and this is going to be my last coaching job. My statement to him was I'm not coaching anywhere else, this is my last coaching job. My goal is to finish here and hang with my family."

"Even if they offer me the job at the end of this season, I am not going to go coach the Knicks."

Remember that quote. Brown met with Isiah in June. That quote was from January.


Talking about the Cavs job he said he "has never had a conversation with [Cavaliers owner] Dan Gilbert regarding any job opening. I've never talked to him. I don't know if I've ever met him."

Then later rationalizing his half truth. "I read your article and you said I denied speaking to anybody from the Cavaliers. I never said that at all. And anybody that heard me, I never said that once. I said I never spoke with Dan Gilbert. I never said anything else."

Here's the best thing that will come out of this whole mess. Larry Brown will equate this contract buyout with being fired. This guy has made such a reputation for himself that getting fired looks better than leaving on his own. He wants people to think that he was fired.

No comments: