Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Love

Hey I'm working on some lessons again. So here's some of my thoughts. I John 4:8 says "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love". I hate when the Bible uses words like "does not know God". I want to know God. So I need to make sure I don't fall into that category. So I think this is a serious question. Do I love? I've started studying love to find out if I do it. In order to understand love I'm looking at the perfect example of love. Since it says that God is love I need to study him and his love. I want to learn more about how to love him as well. So the first place I landed was Romans 5:8. "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I started thinking about why God made us in the first place. I'd always said it was so we'd love him. The Westminster Catechism says it is to bring God glory. I think maybe it's different than that. I think maybe it's because God is so full of love that he wanted an outlet. Beings that are full of love never run out of things to love. God wanted something to pour out his love on. So he created us. He always knew that he would. He always knew that we'd break his heart. But he created us to love anyways. And he loved in such a selfless way that he died for us. "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins". I John 4:10 Crud. The more I study love the more selfless it looks. I don't do many selfless things. I show love a lot of the time to get love back. Which I guess isn't really love from me at all.

2 comments:

LoriP said...

I have been thinking alot latelyabout this unconditional love thing. It just makes me realize how much Jesus really loves me and how little I am really like him.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was deep, I liked it. Anyhow, to practice unconditional love I am going to drop off a stray kitten we found. Practice makes perfect.

-Tami