Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ron Paul?

I've not been interested in politics for years. I haven't had t.v. for the entire summer. So when I saw multiple bumper stickers promoting Ron Paul for president, I was confused. I'd never heard of the guy before. I then heard him on NPR's show "Wait wait...Don't tell me!". I was impressed immediately by his introduction. The guy turned down the congressional pension! So I got on the internet and read more. Here's what I've found from his site. www.ronpaul2008.com

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.
He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.
He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Plus he's Pro-Life.

Talk me out of it. What's not to like about this guy? I'll give you a week to talk me out of it and if you don't I'll probably buy one of his t-shirts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what DOES he vote for? or does he just vote against everything?

Paul said...

He didn't get the nickname Dr. No for nothing. Wikipedia says "Paul said in 2004 that he had refused to vote for more than 700 bills creating a larger government over his previous two terms in office." He sponsors bills that would shrink the government, slash spending, and cut or even abolish some taxes. He wants to do away completely with income tax and the IRS.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't just want to be able to use the title "President Paul"?

Paul said...

President Paul has a great ring to it. And I think this t-shirt would be a good one.
http://www.shopronpaul.com/index.cgi/paulitician

"The Best Paulitician"

Anonymous said...

I generally don't try to tell you what to do... like "you don't really want a motorcycle." Ron Paul has a wrong position on the Iraq war... Hmm... He does have some good sense ideas but with no IRS how will we collect taxes? There are some things that need to be done by the federal government and they need funds / taxes to accomplish them. Hmm...

Paul said...

I knew this would bring Dad! So first on the war in Iraq, who doesn't have a wrong position on it? I haven't heard a solution I like yet. And second the Paulitician says that income tax makes up 1/3 of the revenue for the government. He says he'll cut spending enough to cover that. "The truth is that Congress does not need $2.7 trillion, or anything close to it, to fund the proper constitutional functions of the federal government ... Eliminating one-third of the proposed 2007 budget would still leave federal spending at roughly $1.8 trillion-- a sum greater than the budget just 6 years ago in 2000! Does anyone seriously believe we could not find ways to cut spending back to 2000 levels? Perhaps the idea of an America without an income tax is not so radical after all." http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst041006.htm

You Limbaughlovers SAY you love small government! You'd think you'd love this guy.

Anonymous said...

Boy someone challenges you on this and you get testy... The point is that you need some tax collection service... IRS or something. Yes - cutting spending would be wonderful but to eliminate all income tax is not practical. It's O.K. to be radical in your thinking but if he wants to be president he needs to present real solutions as well as radical ideas.

Anonymous said...

He might be good enough to make me deviate from my usual straight Constitutional Party ticket.