Monday, April 24, 2006

The first 5k

Saturday morning was beautiful. Dan, James, and I got there early and registered. We got a free t-shirt and free putt putt passes. We walked some of the course and just enjoyed our time together. The wives and kids were going to meet us about race time since we got there to register at 8:00 and the race started at 9:30. They got there just as the race started. The start was weird. I felt like I was part of a huge stampede. I got stuck behind some older women at the start but that was fine because I wanted to be sure that I didn't start too fast. The course was really neat wrapping around ponds and through little bits of woods. It crossed roads and railroad tracks. It was paved some and trail some. My first mile was 10 minutes and 5 seconds. I finished the second mile at 19:52. I still had good energy left and was feeling good so I really picked up the pace for about the last half mile. I don't remember my time at the finish but Dan is pretty sure it was 29:15. We know for sure that it was under my 30 minute goal. And I ran the entire time so that was another goal met. I won a door prize that was a free dinner at Fazoli's. So it was a great first 5k. I really enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again.

Dan finished 7th overall. I finished 65th and James finished 66th.

Later that afternoon Steph's brother Paul's family and her parents came up. We had 8 adults and 8 kids for the afternoon and evening at the Weaver house. It was fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great, be healthy run, and then throw some fatty carbs on at Fazoli's.

Paul said...

I'm not a big Fazoli's fan so it isn't a problem. I'm very very picky about my Italian food. I don't even like Olive Garden. I've eaten at a few expensive Italian restaurants that I like. Something in the sauces at most Italian restaurants seems to destroy my stomach.

Once when I was in college I took a girl on a date to a Spaghetti Warehouse. On the way back to the college to drop her off, my stomach went into gas production mode (yes Mr. Bush I would be willing to sell my superpowers). I was able to hold back all emissions but was painfully on the verge of explosion the entire drive. I unleashed the horrible consequences on my unit mates. Poor guys never stood a chance. I earned the title "bodily function man".

So I gave the gift certificate to Steph to use sometime when in town with the girls.

Anonymous said...

Last night mom and dad and lynn all informed me that carbs are essential to running. Something we all know I wouldn't know.

I'm not a big fan of Fazoli's either.

But the gas you shared with me growing up has prepared me for life with my two roomates. :)