Friday, December 16, 2005

This is a blow to my Americocentric ways

I love American sports like basketball and football. I often make fun of soccer even though I find it fun to play. I've gone to MLS games and find them like hockey to be slow and boring compared to football and basketball. I love the Superbowl and always am amazed at how many people watch it and how many countries it is shown in. Last year, according to Superbowl.com, 144 million people watched.

December 9th was the draw for the World Cup. This is similar to the seeding for the NCAA March Madness. Understand that December 9th there wasn't even a game played. It is estimated that over 300 million people watched. More than twice what the Superbowl gets and it wasn't even a game. The U.S. census bureau says that the United States population is 297,890,005. That earns a "wow".

No comments: