Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Money

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about Christians and money. I'm not sure what started this thought pattern. I've been disturbed for a while about Christian radio and the amount of financial planning shows and advertising there. I'm willing to bet that there is an estate planning Sunday School class out there somewhere. I know there are enough seminars. I took a Jr. high boy that I don't spend much time with out for dinner the other week. He asked me why I was an assistant pastor. He said I was smart and could make a bunch of money in business or something. (Leaving the headaches and time schedule of being a pastor for more money and freedom somewhere else is a constant temptation for me.) I told him that money wasn't the biggest factor in my decisions. (I hope I mean that and it isn't just something I say) He was blown away that I was buying dinner for him at Culvers. Money and the problems that surround it are not new. Maybe how easy debt is now is new though. Steph and I are getting closer and closer to eliminating our college debt. But the temptation to take on new debt is always there as well. A newer less mileage car is something that I think about often. Do I need it? Do I want to get into needs vs. wants? And do I really want to change my views about money? I'm also wondering if it's really as wise as we think to store up our money for a time when we'll retire. I don't know. I don't do it as much as I'm told I should. I tell myself that I will save more when I get rid of my student loans. But will I or will I replace that debt with other debt? It would be cool to own a house...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim says you don't need to own a house, just a good dog.

Paul said...

Dogs are expensive. Speaking of dogs...I saw one today in Meijer. It was a nice yellow lab. It was sleeping on the floor. It was with an old lady. As I got closer I saw a sign attached to it's leash thingy. It said "Ignore me I'm working".