Tuesday, December 04, 2007

National Debt

When it comes to voting some things are very important to me. The spiritual beliefs of a candidate are important to me. Abortion is an important issue to me. So this year I find myself with 2 candidates that really fit my criteria. Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul. I could find myself voting for each of them. I find one big difference though. Paul wants to seriously cut spending and Huckabee talks a good game but spends. I believe that this will keep Paul from ever being a serious candidate. Cutting spending isn't a popular idea among politicians. But who cares if it's popular, it needs to be done. I went over to the Treasury Department home page. They have some cool features that no doubt cost tons of money to put together. But anyways you can look up the national debt and search by day to find out what it was. I looked at the month of November for 2007. November 1st the national debt, according to the Treasury Department, was $9,080,228,573,291.65. It's great they have it to the penny. November 30th the debt was $9,149,341,364,936.71. It's funny how the number doesn't look that different. But it's a growth of 69 billion 112 million 791 thousand 6 hundred 45 and 6 cents. In one month! Not how much we spent but how much farther we went in debt. If you break it down it's only 2 billion 303 million and some change a day. It's only $1,599,883 a minute. Now I'll admit I have no idea how much it costs to run a government. But anytime you are going that far in debt you have a problem. The best way to cut debt is to stop spending more than you are taking in. So our government has four choices. 1. Raise taxes (doesn't sound too appealing to me.) 2. Cut spending (I hate the waste.) 3. A mixture of both (this is probably the most logical but is definitely unelectable.) 4. Keep ignoring it and hoping it will go away. I'll quickly admit I know very little about this stuff. However, a guy who has a plan to fix it sounds appealing to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.cagw.org/

I'm with you: an essential but futile effort.